The links in this post contain affiliate links and I will receive a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my link.
I love herringbone! My inspiration is this fabric design, Herringbone Pond, by Joel Dewberry. I love how the herringbone is a little uneven, and gives the piece character.
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING IF YOU CLICK ON A LINK AND BUY SOMETHING I MAY RECEIVE A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE SALE AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU.
I started with a plain old terracotta planter, that I sprayed with a coat of white primer, then a coat of white paint. As that was drying, I used my paper cutter to cut a bunch of thin strips of adhesive vinyl, about ¼ of an inch wide.
Then I started placing the the vinyl, making my herringbone pattern, on the planter. I wanted the pattern to be slightly uneven, like the fabric. Not all the vinyl strips were exactly the same size, which was good.
It took some time, you know, any time I try to focus on something the Sparkletots want to see and take my supplies, they were all about the vinyl strips. Projects like these usually involve playing a game of chase. Once I was happy with my vinyl taping job, I took the planter outside for more spray paint. I chose yellow, I’m not too sure why, but at the moment it felt right. Now I wish I would have chosen something more subdued. Oh well.
I carefully removed the vinyl and sprayed a clear sealant on it. Once dry the planter got it’s very own succulent.
I did the same with a cheap stemless wine glass that was on clearance at Target.
With the glass, the painting had to be perfect and not get on the inside. So I turned it upside down, and made sure the paint didn’t get inside. A couple of fine coats was all it took. I didn’t put sealant on this one, because I wasn’t sure how it would look. I hope the paint doesn’t scratch off. Sad little flower in there. It’s all I could find.
If you liked this project, you might also like these ~