At the beginning of every new year it seems like nearly every one resolves to be more healthy. Eating better, exercising more, losing that 5 (errr 10) pounds that just won't budge are all things I hear every year from my friends and family. Being healthy is work. You need to take the time, prepare and stay committed to making a positive change in yourself. One of the best ways I have found to help lose a couple pounds and to keep hunger at bay is to increase my lean protein intake and to ditch all refined carbohydrates. I'm not against snacking, I just believe you need the right kind of snacks. Yep, I'm convinced those low-fat snacks are hurting you way more than the box leads you to believe. Tuna is such an easy way to add lean protein, healthy fat and vitamins and minerals into your diet. Bumble Bee® tuna comes in cans and pouches to make eating healthy convenient for you. These Colorful Tuna Lettuce Wraps are one of my favorite things to make and stick in the fridge to grab later for an after workout snack, to satisfy a late night craving or to eat when watching a game. The lean protein in the Bumble Bee® tuna and the healthy fat in the avocado really do the trick to make the tummy (and the brain) feel satiated. For the Colorful Tuna Lettuce Wraps you will need two cans or pouches of Bumble Bee® tuna (Chunk White Albacore in Water), a red bell pepper, dijon mustard, greek yogurt or sour cream, freshly ground black pepper, avocado and lettuce. Hearts of romaine lettuce works best for the wraps, but I love iceberg lettuce. There's something about the crispness and the flavor that I prefer. Your choice! I always use a little cream cheese to add some flavor and to help the wraps stay together, it's completely optional though. Make sure the cream cheese is soft, or your lettuce will rip. Layer the Bumble Bee® tuna mixed with the bell peppers on the cream cheese, sprinkle with the diced avocado, then wrap the lettuce as tightly as you can. Use the toothpicks to hold the wraps together. Stick your Colorful Tuna Lettuce Wraps in the refrigerator and slice them between the toothpicks when you are ready to eat them!
Colorful Tuna Lettuce Wraps
Recipe type: Snacks
Cuisine: Low Carb Snacks
Serves: 5 servings
- 2 cans Bumblebee Tuna, drained
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons real sour cream, greek yogurt, or mayonnaise
- ½ diced red bell pepper
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 4 large leaves of hearts of romaine lettuce or iceberg (romaine works best)
- Wash and dry large lettuce leaves, set aside. In a medium bowl, mix tuna, sour cream, mustard, and bell pepper with a fork. Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Carefully spread softened cream cheese across a section of the lettuce leaf (it's okay if the lettuce rips a little.) Spread the tuna mixture across the cream cheese. Sprinkle with diced avocado.
- Roll the lettuce around the tuna filling, wrapping as tightly as you can. Stick toothpicks all the way though the lettuce wraps to keep wraps together. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, slice into bite size servings, cutting between the toothpicks.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.