Quinoa Asparagus Salad with a Lemon Pesto Drizzle
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh, flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto
- juice of one large lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Once cooked, set in refrigerator to chill.
- To blanch the asparagus, add two tablespoons of Kosher salt to a large pot of water and bring to a boil. Cut the firm bases off the asparagus and chop into 1.5 inch pieces, reserving a few spears whole for garnish. Add asparagus to boiling water, cover and cook for 2.5 minutes. Promptly remove and chill or place in an ice bath.
- In a small bowl, mix lemon juice with pesto.
- Mix quinoa, flat leaf parsley, green onions, half the feta and some freshly ground pepper together. Add half of the lemon pesto to the quinoa mix.
- Place quinoa onto a bed of the mixed greens. Top with chopped avocados, halved cherry tomatoes and the rest of the feta. Garnish with asparagus spears.
- Drizzle the remainder of the lemon pesto on the the salad.
- Serve promptly.