THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING IF YOU CLICK ON A LINK AND BUY SOMETHING I MAY RECEIVE A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE SALE AT NO COST TO YOU.So this pumpkin soup is spicy. Cayenne pepper, ground red chili and smoked hot paprika add layers of heat and a whole lot of flavor. That smoked hot paprika is amazing. I could smell it all day. Just don't breathe it in. It burns. A lot.
Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red chili
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 large can purreed pumpkin (29 oz)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- salt to taste
- dollop of sour cream for topping
- pumpkin seeds for topping
- Sautee onions and garlic with olive oil in a soup pot, on medium heat, until tender, approximately five minutes. Add in your spices and sautee another two minutes. Add in chicken broth and pumpkin, and stir until mixed. Simmer on stove for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in heavy cream, to add extra smoothness. At this point you can blend in a blender or with an immersion blender if you'd like.
- Serve hot, with a dollop of sour cream, pumpkin seeds or croutons. Or top with shredded mozzarella. Yum!
Need more pumpkin in your life?
Try this Ultimate Pumpkin Bread recipe. It's amazing!