This low carb quiche, filled with ham, cheese and asparagus, has a flavorful cauliflower crust. This quiche can be made ahead of time and tastes great both heated and cold.
You're aware that swimsuit season is around the corner, right? I am. I need to stop tempting you with chocolate cake and sugar cookies and start making more salads and low-carb foods. If you are following a low-carb or ketogenic diet then this quiche is just for you. Or if you like ham, cheese, asparagus and eggs, then this dish is for you as well. It is delicious and perfect for a spring brunch or for dinner.
THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING IF YOU CLICK ON A LINK AND BUY SOMETHING I MAY RECEIVE A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE SALE AT NO COST TO YOU.Don't be afraid of cauliflower crusts like I was. It was so simple. All you need to do to prep the cauliflower is throw a medium sized head of cauliflower into the food processor. Well actually just the florets. Then chop them in the food processor until they resemble corn meal. I bought some riced cauliflower at Costco and threw that into the mini food processor that I have. Then you need to heat it up so that you can squeeze out the extra moisture. I know this seems like a lot, but it isn't much work at all. Either put it covered in a microwave for 4 minutes, or on a stove, heat with a steamer over boiling water for 5 minutes. Let cool then use a flour-sack towel, cheese cloth or sieve to squeeze out excess fluid. Add in the egg, salt, mozzarella, garlic powder and pepper and mix together. Grease a 9 inch pan and press cauliflower mixture into the sides. Put into a 450 degree oven and bake for 15 minutes until golden and crusty. While the cauliflower crust is baking blanch the asparagus. Cut off the woody stems and put the asparagus in boiling water for 3 minutes (four minutes if the stems are thick.) Pull out the asparagus and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Cut the asparagus into 1½ inch pieces. Scramble up 4 eggs and mix with diced, cooked ham, cream, asparagus, shredded cheddar cheese and freshly ground black pepper. Pour the egg mix into the crust and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn down the temp to 325 for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Cauliflower crust:
- 1 medium head cauliflower, stems removed
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1 cup asparagus spears, blanched and chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Rinse cauliflower florets and pulse in food processor until it resembles cornmeal. Steam in microwave for 4 minutes until cooked. Let cool for 10 minutes. Using a kitchen towel or a sieve, squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Mix together cauliflower, egg, mozzarella cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Press mixture into a greased 9 inch pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until crust starts browning.
- While the crust is baking, blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 3-4 minutes. Rinse under cold water to stop the cooking process. Chop into 1 inch pieces. Beat eggs with a fork with cream, add rest of ingredient and mix well. Pour into the baked cauliflower crust. Put into a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees for an additional 20-25 minutes until fully cooked.