Strawberry Basil and Greek Yogurt Ice Pops- Here’s a recipe for healthy ice pops for the summer using strawberries, basil and greek yogurt. It’s a nutritious alternative to ice cream or store bought popsicles.
I have a weird addiction to mixing flavors. Herbs and fruit are probably my favorite mixture and I love it when the kids try new combinations…and actually eat it! They devoured these ice pops, so I must be doing something right.
The Greek yogurt freezes amazingly well and tastes very rich and creamy. As long as your strawberries are ripe, there is no need for any sugar in these ice pops. I use a mix of organic frozen strawberries and fresh strawberries. I like the frozen ones because they release a lot of fluid when they thaw, and that adds to the consistency of the ice pop.
An immersion blender (affiliate link) is the easiest way to get the best consistency for the blended strawberries and basil. Be sure to let the frozen berries thaw for a while first, so they are juicy, but still a little frozen.
Put the strawberry basil mixture into your popsicle tray, fill about half way up. I use this Norpro Ice Pop Maker (affiliate link). Stick in the freezer for 20-30 minutes, so it’s firm, but not frozen. Don’t put the stick in it yet!
Chop up some fresh strawberries to mix with the vanilla Greek yogurt. Once the strawberry basil mix is firm, pull it out of the freezer and add the yogurt mix. Pat it down with a spoon to avoid having air pockets in the ice pop. Put in your popsicle sticks and freeze.
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, thawed
- 4 leaves fresh basil
- 2 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
- simple syrup or sweetener (optional)
- Blend together one cup of fresh strawberries, all of the frozen strawberries and the basil. Add sweetener or simple syrup if the berries are not sweet enough. Pour mixture into ice pop tray, filling each section half way.
- Stick in freezer 20-30 minutes until firm, but not frozen solid.
- Chop up the remaining fresh strawberries and mix with the yogurt. Spoon the yogurt mixture on top of the strawberry basil mixture, filling the ice pop tray. Add your popsicle sticks and freeze 3-4 hours or until frozen.
You May Also Like…