The one thing about having a new baby at home is that it can be difficult to get things done in a timely fashion. The infant carrier I wear helps so I can do things around the house, but sometimes I need a little motivation to get out of the house. Getting to the grocery store requires a shower, getting dressed, feeding and changing the baby and then putting her in the car seat. She’s not a fan of the car seat yet. Thankfully, we have Amazon Prime Now, so I can get things delivered relatively quickly. Yesterday we needed bread and I didn’t need enough stuff to warrant ordering from Amazon and I happened to have everything I need to make a loaf of this Oatmeal Honey Bread.
I’m still a little unsure of myself when it comes to making yeast breads. Working with yeast is combination of science and art and it fascinates me. Don’t be fooled by the name of the Oatmeal Honey Bread, the bread is only slightly sweet, with just enough honey to give it flavor.
My favorite part of making yeast bread is punching down the dough after it has risen. Kneading is fun too. Although I feel like I am so much messier when making the bread because of the babywearing. Maybe that is just an excuse.
Another easy yeast bread recipe is this Roasted Garlic and Rosemary Focaccia Bread. It’s so easy and flavorful.
- 1 1/3 cups warm water (approximately 120 degrees F)
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- In a mixing bowl, or in the bowl of your stand mixer, combine warm water, yeast, sugar and oil. Let sit for 10 minutes while the yeast activates.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Knead dough for about 10 minutes or use the dough hook with the stand mixer for about 5 minutes.
- Cover dough with a towel and let rise for about 90 minutes.
- Once risen, punch down dough and knead for a 4 minutes.
- Grease a loaf pan (9x5) and form dough into loaf shape. Place in pan, cover with a towel and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Let cool prior to slicing. Enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 181Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 267mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information provided for recipes is a courtesy to my readers. I do my best to be as accurate as possible, but you should do your own nutrition information calculations. I expressly disclaim any and all liability of any kind with respect to any act or omission wholly or in part in reliance on anything contained in this website.