This Roasted Garlic, Herb and Parmesan Mashed Potatoes recipe is rich and flavorful, and a perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
THIS IS A PARTNERED POST WITH PARMIGIANO REGGIANO. ALL THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN.
Move over lumpy, pasty mashed potatoes! Mama’s got a new recipe! Ok, my old recipe is pretty stinkin’ good, but this recipe is for “Luxury Mashed Potatoes.” Why are they luxury? Well they are made with fresh herbs, roasted garlic and the best Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
You can always tell when your Parmesan cheese is real Parmigiano Reggiano by the pin-dot pattern on the rind!
I am a huge fan of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and honestly, it’s what adds the rich flavor to these mashed potatoes. It accents the roasted garlic and herbs perfectly. I love that the aged cheese that I have has only three ingredients, milk, rennet and salt.
This Roasted Garlic, Herb and Parmesan Mashed Potatoes recipe is a perfect dish for holiday eating. It’s best if made the day before, so the flavors can combine and enhance. The roasted garlic can even be made longer ahead of time, just store it in an airtight container in the fridge!
Cooking the potatoes in chicken broth or with some bullion isn’t necessary, but it adds great flavor to the potatoes.
Feel free to switch up the herbs in this recipe. My family can’t seem to get enough dill, so I always have fresh dill weed on hand.
DID YOU KNOW THAT PARMESAN CHEESE IS NATURALLY LACTOSE-FREE DUE TO THE LONG AGING PROCESS? READ MORE ON THAT HERE.
After all the herbs, garlic and Parmigiano Reggiano is mixed into the potatoes, put it into a baking dish and cover it. Place it in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors combine. Or if you can’t wait, get ready to bake it in the oven!
- 2 bulbs garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- thinly sliced Parmigiano Reggiano, reserved for topping
- Heat oven to 400F, cut tops off of garlic bulbs, drizzle tops with olive oil. Create a tent out of aluminum foil and roast garlic for 1 hour.
- While garlic is roasting, cube potatoes and place in a large pot. Cover with chicken broth and cook on medium heat until potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain broth from potatoes and place in a large bowl. While potatoes are still hot, stir in butter, cream cheese, onion salt and herbs.
- Remove roasted garlic from one bulb, it should be paste-like and stir into potatoes with shredded parmesan.
- Heat oven to 350F. Place potatoes into an oven safe dish. Top with roasted garlic from the second bulb, small pats of butter and bake for 20 - 25 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of baking set oven to broil to make potatoes slightly crispy on the top.
- Place thinly sliced Parmigiano Reggiano on top and serve.
If making the potato dish ahead of time, stop after step four. Step five will take longer in the oven to reheat.
PIN THIS FOR LATER